Pages

Friday, March 17, 2006

Five Months...

Well, it's hard to believe, but today, Riley is five months old! At this time five months ago, I was starting to push. And about an hour and a half later came the most amazing moment of my life to date. This photo is his first!

I often go over the events of that day (and the previous night when I went into labor) in my mind so that I won't forget even the smallest detail-I'm so worried that I will lose the magic of that glorious day. I so wish that we had videotaped the birth. Never in a million years would I have thought that I wanted a video if you'd asked me before the birth, but now, I regret not having one.

Unfortunately, the memory is starting to fade slightly, which was why I did this piece of art a few months ago. I'm not sure if you can see it in the photo, but I've written out a timeline of what happened during labor. This way, my memory is jogged of the significant events of that day, such as calling the doctor or getting the epidural (thank goodness!). And the photo is of the first time I held him- it brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it!

In fact, this is the main reason for most of the art I do-trying to capture memories that I'm scared I will lose if not recorded. So I guess it all just means that I need to keep doing more art, because as I leave each of these life events behind, new memories are being formed. And the newest memory is of Riley rolling over for the first time last night! I can't believe it's been five months already.... Happy Five-Month Birthday, Riley!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a great idea to store the memories of the labour like this. my daughter is already 4 (what?!) and I still didn't write down my memories. definitely a big inspiration how you did it. great work.

lindaharre said...

corey..........isn't it breathtaking how they take over your life...just by being? my are having babies of their own and i still remember the overwhelming feeling of "happy" i would get at every bend in the road.....ENJOY EVERY MINUTE!:) ~L.