Pages

Friday, March 31, 2006

Studio Friday- Comfort (and Corners of My Home)

This week's Studio Friday theme is Comfort. And I'm also cheating and using the same photos for my "Corners of My Home" submission (one day late) since it's in a corner!

This is a corner in my studio that holds a mannequin figure I made my husband for his birthday a few years ago. As you can see, there is an arched inset that holds a raven. The arched shape itself is a very comfortable shape for me- I find it enclosing and protective and safe. There're also two printer's blocks- "J" and "C"- our initials. Around the arch, it says, "He always calms her rising emotions". This is where the real "comfort" comes in. This statement is very true of us. I tend to be a worrier and easily distressed. Jason is my rock- he calms me down and gives me more confidence to be able to do the things I'm scared to do. He's a great comfort to me.

At one time, the mannequin had copper wings and a finial on the top, but those broke off during our recent move, and I haven't reattached them yet- but I may wait, because she wouldn't fit in this little corner if she had all her extremities reattached, and I kind of like having her there!

11 comments:

Abbie said...

I think she is a marvelous sculpture just the way she is, and looks great right there! Wonderful entry!

:) Abbie

Lisa Marie said...

Such a creative piece of work! Very cool!

Anonymous said...

It is fascinating to me that the niche is in the dressform's womb. Do you think that you hold a lot of creative energy there? [I'm not usually this new-age-y!]

Anonymous said...

Just beautiful work you have!

Anonymous said...

oh! my! this is stunning.

Corey said...

Thank you so much, everyone! And to answer Molly's question, it's odd because I just noticed the womb placement when I posted these photos. As I said in the post, the arch shape is very comforting to me- sort of womb-like, in a sense. I think maybe that's the connection!

Anonymous said...

Corey, this is wonderful, how tall is it? I love the copper doors and how you incorporated words onto the edges...

Anonymous said...

Wonderful art piece <3
Where did you got the Raven? I love those birds...

bugheart said...

what a wonderful sculpture...
and the collages you sent
to florida turned out so beautifully.

A COLLAGE A DAY said...

Very Very Nice. I enjoy the mystery.
bravo!
r.

tiffini elektra x said...

Oh my - found your blog through Erika's - you art is so wonderful. Enjoying looking around. This is just absolutely stunning!