Pages

Monday, January 13, 2014

After Christmas Re-Decorating

Hello, everyone!  Happy New Year!  I hope you all had a wonderful holiday season!  I've been busy around here with the kids finally getting back to school, and me getting back to whatever it is I do all day! After Christmas, I always get a little frazzled trying to put the house back together.  Christmas decorations put away, new toys (both kid toys and grown-up toys!) worked into the rooms in which they belong...  It all stresses me out until I can get things the way I like them!
 
So anyway, since my Christmas décor was pretty "busy" (especially in our family room), I felt the desire to simplify a little bit when I was re-decorating.  I ended up taking out a lot of the pieces that normally hang on my wall (mostly my own artwork), and keeping things much more simple.
 
 I kept the doll dressers on the shelves all white, so they felt more unified, and hung a couple plants instead of sitting them on the tabletop.  The metal orbs (how much do you LOVE the giant turquoise one?  Thank you, HomeGoods!!!) all clustered together feel like just one element, and balance out the dollhouse nicely.
 
 I had to keep the three vintage puzzles- love these so much!
 
 And of course I had to keep all the books for my kids to read.  How cute are those vintage illustrated dictionaries on the right side?  They're so pretty all lined up!
 
 This little set are I think my most favorite doll furniture pieces- I also have a bed that matches, but it wouldn't fit in here!
 
 Here's a closer look at that turquoise orb- I'm so in love with it, I think I may have to marry it one day!
 
 
Then, moving on to my sofa table...
 
 This actually didn't change all that much- I mean, how could I ever move those colorful dolly dressers?  They were just made to sit on that shelf, weren't they?
 
 But I did want to show you the new aqua shelf/drawer piece I got at Hobby Lobby...
 
 I was in search of something to put here that would complete the "tablescape", and brought this home, thinking it may work.  There are little shallow shelves on the top that I figured I could fill with something.  Well, how perfectly do they hold those vintage books???  It was kismet, I tell you!  I always love to use vintage books in my decorating, and these is the perfect way to showcase them, while also storing them!  In fact, I think the turquoise orb may have to wait in line, because I may have to marry this aqua shelf first!!!
 
 
And here's the view of the fireplace wall...
 
 As I've said before, we plan to put some large distressed cabinet doors over the cubbies on either side of the fireplace SOMEDAY, but just not sure when that's going to actually happen (it's a honey-do project that has been on the list for a while....).  For the past year, I haven't really tried to decorate those cubbies for that reason, but I decided to move our photo albums onto the shelves for the time being, just so they're not bare!
 
 And here's what I did above the fireplace.  I took the barnwood (that I used in this post) and hung our family portrait over the top. I found the wooden architectural pieces (on the top) at an antique store for $4.  They work beautifully! 
 
 All the decorative elements (except the topiaries) came from Hobby Lobby- how I love that store!
 
I've eyed this pink shadowbox frame at H.L. for months, but didn't buy it because I wasn't sure where to put it.  After I was done putting all the other elements on the mantle, I still felt like it needed another pop of color, and then I remembered this frame- I changed out the paper in the background, added this little vintage Knickerbocker doll, and now it looks perfect!
 
So, what have you been working on recently?   Soon I'll show you a secret project of mine that is almost finished.  In fact, I think I'll go work on that right now!  Have a great week!
 
 
 

7 comments:

Musings from Kim K. said...

I'm still green with envy over the amount of doll dressers that you have in your fabulous collection. They are so hard to find and so darn expensive. I love how you are keeping them in your family space. Love all the pop of pastel color. Can't wait to see what else you've been up to.

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

I love the way you've styled your mantel! I thought of you this past weekend when I bought a child's play wardrobe (and a small wardrobe to hang inside) and a tin dollhouse that needs a "little" work for $10.

I love all of your doll furniture!

Blessed Serendipity said...

Everything is so whimsical and cute. I love all your doll furniture in all the pretty pastel colors. I saw that same pink shadowbox frame at HL this weekend and liked it - now I love it because I love the idea of putting a little doll inside.

xo Danielle

Chelsea Ann said...

I always just want to "come on in, and sit awhile" when you show off your sweet home. I have those same candle sticks from HL :)

Anonymous said...

I'm awed beyond the power to express what your doll furniture does to my old heart! What a fantastic collection, the likes of which I've never seen but only dream about. I'm a 74 year old kid, still playing with my dolls. I'm wondering if the Knickerbocker dolls rattle, the girl and boy in your header? I have the box mine came in, but not the dolls. As a little girl in the 40's I loved to sew for my dolls. One Christmas Santa brought me that set, even though with rattles inside they were meant for much younger children. They were perfect for my sewing efforts. Somewhere along the line they were given away and the box kept with some of my other toys. Thank you for this wonderful treat to my old eyes. Now I must read the rest of your posts!

Corey said...

Yes! Those Knickerbockers do have rattles- I've got a few others, and some do, but others don't. I think making clothes for them was common- they always seem to have homemade clothing of some sort! I'm so glad I brought back such great memories for you! :)

Two Moms and a Gma said...

Couple things: LOVE the vintage puzzles and the books. So, so love. You'd love antiquing in my town. (Ahem).... And I love the barnwood above the fireplace!! I love repurposing stuff like that.