Pages

Saturday, October 04, 2014

The Time I Cried Over a Dollhouse

 
I'm a little embarrassed to tell this story, so maybe I should clarify and say that it was TWO dollhouses, not just one. 
 
But anyway, here's how it goes.  I check on EstateSales.net every week for sales that have vintage dollhouses.  Not just any vintage dollhouses, but Keystone and Rich, specifically, which are the ones that are my favorites.  And, let me tell you, they are very few and far between around here.  So few and far between, in fact, that I've never actually found one close enough to buy. 
 
So imagine my excitement when I saw the above photo for a sale about two hours away!  But I hemmed and hawed about whether I should go- it's a little hard to tell the condition of the houses from this photo, and what if I drove all the way only to find that they are priced crazy high?  Not to mention the gas money to get there.  I should also mention that driving 2 hours (and back 2 hours as well) is kind of a major deal for me.  I have a pinched nerve in my neck that makes driving pretty uncomfortable and even painful at times, but I do it when it's necessary. 
 
So I found a way to email the estate sale company and sent an email asking nicely for the prices, since I was so far away.  I heard nothing before the first day of the sale, so I grudgingly decided it was against my better judgement to take the risk.  But that evening, I got an email telling me they were only $20 (plus the next day was 1/2 price day!), and they were still available! 
 
It was a sign- I had to go!  The sale opened at 8:00 AM the next day, so I decided not to risk it, and to try and get there right at 8:00.  I got up at 5:30, and left by 6:00.  I was making good time, on schedule to get there on time, but then I started hitting the toll roads.  I had to stop three times and hunt for correct change.  Aargh!  I hadn't anticipated that delay, but I still thought I was doing okay to get there pretty close to 8:00.  But then the MapQuest directions I'd printed got confusing, and I had to backtrack, then stop and figure out how to work my car's GPS in order to get back on track.
 
But still, by then it was only like 8:15, and I figured, "It's not like anybody else would show up right at 8:00 to buy these dollhouses- after all, they were there all day yesterday...".  Well, I'm sure you've got a good feeling about how this story ends up.  I pulled up in front of the house at 8:20, and watched two men as they were loading the two dollhouses into the trunk of their car- literally. 
 
I was just stunned.  Are you serious?  I just drove 2 hours and wasted $60 in gas, only to miss them by 1 minute??  I couldn't help it.  I sat in my car and cried for about 3 minutes.  Not really because I wanted the houses so bad (and not that I needed them for sure- I need another dollhouse like I need a hole in the head)- but just because it had been such a waste, and I hadn't even had the chance to make the decision myself, you know?  I started to drive away, because I really didn't know if I could even handle going into the sale, knowing what had just happened, but then I turned around, knowing that was kind of stupid.  I went in a poked around, and found a couple little things, but certainly not anything that made the trip worthwhile.
 
Writing it all down here makes it sound pretty silly, but I figured that if anyone could understand my pain, it would be you guys.  So there's my story.  It's embarrassing, but it sadly is true.  I hope maybe I brought some amusement to your day by retelling it though!
 

10 comments:

Musings from Kim K. said...

I would have cried too. I can't believe the prices and to have only missed them by mere minutes. Ugh!!!

Gail said...

Oh my goodness! I thought for sure this story would have a good ending........sooooo sorry!
That would hurt my heart for quite awhile I'm afraid.
You my dear are not alone!

Sarah said...

Aw, I am sorry. They were probably dealers. If that ever happens again try this - "Oh my goodness! I was really hoping to get those, any chance you would like to sell them?" Often they will flip them right there. Not for what they just paid, of course, but still, you did go a long way and it's worth trying.

Simply Shelley said...

I feel so bad for you....I can imagine how hard it was for you to see them loading those doll houses after all your efforts of getting there to see them. I try to accept that all things happen for a reason. We may never know the reason, but I figure it was for the best, even when it comes to our desires and wants. Blessings friend

Rose Garden Romantic said...

Oh no!!! That is sad! How disappointing! I'm so sorry! I probably would have cried too!

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

I almost want to cry for you, Corey! There's nothing worse than watching the very items you wanted leave with a customer as you're entering a sale. And after the long drive and all the pitfalls along the way, I can totally empathize with you. At least there could have been one wonderful treasure left to treat yourself to!

bigeyedchick said...

I would cry too! I wish I knew where you lived. I know there is a wooden dollhouse for sale in an antique shop near me for about $45.00. I don't know the maker, but I could find out. I live in west central MN.

Laurel

Laura said...

I would have cried like a baby too!!! And been really mad. Then I would have had to have a chocolate milk shake or two!!!! Here is hoping that someday you will stumble upon the mother lode of doll houses that you love and they will be 5 dollars!

Tazas y Cuentos said...

Oh, I understand you sooooo much...Of course I would have cried too.
Collectors life is not easy :) but we understand each other.
Besos!

donna joy said...

not crazy for crying~those of us that enjoy the thrill of the hunt totally "get it!"